SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Topic Options
#133203 - 01/20/03 01:04 PM Editing Kat "Collected" Files (PA80)
BuleriaChk Offline

Loc: Santa Barbara,CA,USA
After a months of trying to sort out the relation between the collected files in KAT, and the PA80, Ill try to summarize the issues, the way I understand them. Much of this is due to a post from Milan to me, outlining his difficulties in working with the limited information available from Korg.

(This is an ongoing project, but there now IS a solution to working on all the variations in a style as a whole - there are also a couple of other posts on the forums. Feel free to critique the analysis; I am hardly an expert in all of this....:-)

At present, KAT CANNOT read the current state of the instrumentaion in the Style voices (tracks 9 -12) in the PA80 - its track information ONLY reflects the way the instrumentation of the original styles (or something else - why this information should still be in the PA80 after changing them is beyond me.....

Example: I start with Menuetto, copy the style to a new one, rename it and change the drumk/perc kits from OrchestraK/JazzBrush1 to ArabianKits 1 and 2.

Result: Although KAT will import/export the Style correctly to/from the PA80 (now),
the "Track Info" window in KAT still shows them as OK/JB. However, the initial and end result on the PA80 is ArabianKits 1 and 2.

The "Collected File" shows them as OK/JB for all style elements, and when looped within SONAR, using the PA80 as the sound generator, the voices are OK/JB. However, this can be corrected (while in SONAR) by selecting the Bank in the Track window of SONAR, and the patch in the MidiEvent list by selecting the voice and double clicking it for EACH track/style element that you want to hear.

(I believe this can be done for Style Tool also; you can use whichever is relevant. Style tool breaks the CV's out individually, which is useful if all you want to change is one variation; The collected files allow you to work on all variations.

The important thing to remember is that if you want to hear the current configuration of the patches in the styles in the PA80 successfully (if they have been modified from the original), you'll have to change the BANK/PATCH configuration in SONAR; the BANK at the beginning of the track, and the PATCH for EACH variation you want to edit.

A couple of points to note:
The Style tracks are common through all STS's and style variations - that is, a change on the PA80 will be applied to EVERYTHING (tracks 9-12). In the MIDI file, they are broken out separately (even if incorrect as far as the current state of the PA80 is concerned.)

This is goodnews/bad news - the good news is that you can experiment with the instrumentation for each cv separately (changing them independently in SONAR - and the changes will not be reflected back to the PA80). That's also bad news, of course, since then you have to go back to the PA80 and set them - but the setting there will be applied to all the tracks.

Note for Milan:
(That is one reason that Milan breaks the cv's out separately - it is a judgement call. I would prefer that each variation NOT be broken out separately (i.e., not included in KAT collected file for each one), but only once at the beginning of the file, so that all variations reflect the same BANK/PATCH (which could then be selected from the track/bank window in SONAR, and NOT from the Midi Event list.)

The latter situation is what confused the HELL out of me, especially since the patch information in KAT is incorrect to begin with (unless it is the original)

#133204 - 01/20/03 09:15 PM Re: Editing Kat "Collected" Files (PA80)
BuleriaChk Offline

Loc: Santa Barbara,CA,USA
I think this may depend on whether the Prog parameter is set to on or off when the file is saved. (I believe now that that is the reason the original parameters are retained).

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online